2014-01-17

To Those Who Doubt

I was recently cruising social media when I ran across this question as it was posed to a friend of mine (real friend, not the social media kind) who happens to be a pastor.  I have shortened the original question to help keep it on point. I corrected some spelling and grammatical errors.  However, I left the majority in an effort not to alienate the quote entirely from its original voice.  The question was posed as such:

Don’t think I’m trying to [be] the devil or anything, lol, but scripture was written by ordinary men, picked through by men, and organized and rearranged by men.  … Books have been added.  Books have been taken out, by men [whose] motives may be questionable.  I don’t know how to ask what I’m thinking without sounding like a terrible doubting Thomas.  But, you see where I’m going with this.


I want to first point out that Ms. Jane Smith, regardless of what she wants to sound like, is doubting. She doubts that the Bible is in fact the Word of God.  I understand.  Her doubts are quite common. The question which she states is one that has been put forward many times before.  In answer to this question I now submit the following:

To those who doubt God’s Word,

There is no logical or empirical argument that can convince you that the Bible is the inerrant and living Word of God.  Please don’t misunderstand what I am saying.  The Bible is logical.  The Bible is supported by empirical evidence.  When you test what the Bible (truly) says, with (truly) open eyes, you will see that it is true (Romans 1:20, 1 Thessalonians 5:21).  But someone cannot be logically or empirically argued to faith (1 Corinthians 2:10-16).  Furthermore, the sad part about all this is that unless you believe the Word of God you can’t have true faith in Christ Jesus (Romans 10:17).  After all, the Bible says that Jesus is the Word (John 1:1-5, 14).  And without faith in Christ Jesus we have no forgiveness of our sin (Acts 4:12).

So I urge you.  Find a body of believers who teach sound doctrine, will build you up, and encourage you forward as you seek God’s truth.  Then, test God’s word.  See if it is true.  But, most importantly, pray that God would give you His understanding.  An intellectual knowledge of God and the Bible does not save.  For by grace we have been saved through faith, and that (faith) is not of ourselves.  It is the gift of God.  It does not come by our works, be they physical, spiritual, or mental (Ephesians 2:8).

Yours is Christ,

No comments: